Friday, January 11, 2008

Life Tip #16


Unhelpful Thinking

Unhelpful thinking can be extremely undermining in all aspects of one's life. Try examining irrational notions by asking the following questions:


•Is it logical- where is the evidence for my belief?

•Where is the belief inscribed (other than in one's head?).

•Will it seem so bad in 1, 3, 6, or 12 months? In 2 years' time?

•Do I expect myself and/or others to be perfect instead of human?

•Do I think in "all or nothing" terms and eliminate the middle ground?

•If I "can't bear it" or "can't stand it", what will actually happen?

•Am I thinking in "all or nothing" terms, ignoring the middle ground?

•Am I fortune telling with little or no evidence that the worst case scenario will actually happen?

•Just because a problem has occurred, does it mean that I/they/it are "stupid", "a failure", "useless", or "hopeless".

•Am I placing rules on myself or others (e.g. shoulds, musts, have to's, etc.)? If so, are they proving helpful and constructive?


And remember, taking action is the catalyst for change!

No comments: